Hickups

Jan 03 2013 Published by under MediaCreeper

MediaCreeper were somewhat broken the last couple of days due to a crashed table in MySQL, which in turn made the logging functions freak out and no referrers were saved, hence the amounts of “(unknown/hidden referrer)”. Also causing some errors to show as joins with broken tables and indexes ate a lot of memory.

Table repaired, memory added and a few other tweaks, should hold up now as there seem to be a lot more traffic, as there has been a WordPress plugin released that accesses the API to gather data and display in the WP Admin interface. Would also be great if the plugin could add a reference to the tracking image somewhere so the blogs using it also could be found in the logs… 😉

This pushes some issues for further development up the todo list; MongoDb and minimize the memory footprint for the code base .. maybe even prepare/adapt for cloud-based hosting.

No responses yet

IDN-Domains on MC

Jan 25 2011 Published by under MediaCreeper

Just posted an update, fixing a… bug that was introduced the last time I had time to do some updates. The bug effectively stopped all IDN-domains lists on MediaCreeper from being listed, this due to a quirky UTF-8 encoding problem between PHP and MySQL.

No responses yet

MongoDB

Oct 21 2010 Published by under MediaCreeper

After a nice talk with my friend P about MongoDB I’ve been contemplating a bit over switching over, I have no performance issues with MySQL at all but if MongoDB is faster, I’ll go with faster.

I’m going to read up on MongoDB, experiment and fiddle around with it for a while before deciding which way to go… I guess it would reduce CreeperDataLayer a bit in code size and speed up serving data.

No responses yet

Tweaks

Sep 27 2010 Published by under MediaCreeper

Today I’ve done some tweaking of MediaCreeper, a few internal changes to the database structures, to simplify and ease JOINs between tables. This is to prepare for goodies to come.

Image (the small badge) serving code has been revised somewhat to serve the image directly in stead of redirecting (302’d it) to the image. A few header values changed to prevent it from being cached. Creds to Pawal! 🙂

CreeperDataLayer-, CreeperImageServe-, CreeperUtils- and CreeperTemplateEngine-classes has been modified to reflect all the internal changes made. Should be a little bit faster.

CreeperTemplateEngine were a bit wonky, compression did not always hit browsers successfully, with errors as a result — required you to reload page. Disabled compression until I get the time to oversee the code.

Widget should be online soon, almost working.

API should also be online soon, heavily reworked.

When updating some classes on the production server, I accidentally broke some code that are to be activated later, leaving MediaCreeper dead in the water for a minute or two, a simple fix — a configuration value were missing in the configuration file on the production server.

No responses yet

A little fuckup, theme-wise

Jul 25 2010 Published by under MediaCreeper

I updated the theme on this blog without thinking, it updated fine and broke all the small tweaks I had done on the previous version. Duh.

So, I got a new theme that doesn’t require tweaks to look like something that I like.

A short summary of MediaCreeper-work done on my vacation: a little to non. I have tweaked the cache-layer a bit since my first hours of vacation when the site stalled out due to overload of MySQL-connections along with short TTL of cache. Switched from connect to pconnect to reuse connections, which now allows higher loads/amounts of hits on banner and visitors on the site. Also added code to export and purge logs at 90 days, I think 90 days is quite a long time on the internet. Today I switched the top-banner (AdSense) on the MediaCreeper site, from 468×60 to 728×90, required a few tweaks on the style-sheet .. The site might look a little wonky for a few hours as the style-sheet has a future expiry time, nothing breaks completely though.

No responses yet