Html 5 and API

May 06 2014 Published by under MediaCreeper

I’ve started toying around with yet another incarnation of MediaCreeper, to conserve bandwidth, make it fit better on mobile devices and to learning new technology.

Working on the internals at the moment,  updating the API to handle requests from the Html 5 frontend.

More details later.

No responses yet

Request for suggestions

Jun 15 2011 Published by under MediaCreeper

It’s been a while since I had the time to really do something constructive with the code, the project has been put into a maintenance phase, not moving in any direction, as I’ve been caught up in work — quitting employment, beginning a new.

I’ll put this request for suggestions out; what would you like to seen added and/or changed on MediaCreeper? All suggestions will be taken under consideration, I’ll even blog about each suggestion and evaluate it, with argumentation for/against inclusion into the code base.

Issues that is already on the roadmap..

  • Optimize database-connections (in transitional work for moving off MySQL to a non-sql database in the future, probably MongoDb)
  • Make web site more dynamic, add ajax to update listings
  • Clean up code base to prepare for public release, as open source
  • Sync API-calls with WordPress plugin CreeperPing
  • Adding full support for IPv6 — currently spotty support

.. there is possibly more issues that I’ve forgotten about, adding them as they bubble up.

No responses yet

API considered stable (enough)

Mar 07 2011 Published by under MediaCreeper

The MediaCreeper API (http://api.mediacreeper.com/) has been online for a couple of weeks now and are considered stable. It has been linked on the Swedish OpenData-site, a sort of repository of links to open APIs and data collections.

The MediaCreeper API is licensed under CreativeCommons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike or CC BY-NC-SA for short.

There are a non-public part of the API that isn’t completed yet, the CreeperPing. It’s a WordPress plugin that will interact with MediaCreeper over a Server-to-Server protocol, capable of circumventing blocking and blacklisting of CreeperFramework (MediaCreeper and variants).

No responses yet

MediaCreeper API

Feb 23 2011 Published by under MediaCreeper

This last weekend I had some time to spend on finish up on the REST API for MediaCreeper, it is still vera beta-ish and needs somewhat more polishing. You’ll find it at http://api.mediacreeper.com/.

I’ve also whipped together a mobile (as in mobile-phone) version of the main MediaCreeper site, that one is sort of closed-beta .. and needs some more work on css and jquery. More on this when it’s ready for release.

I started to code a javascript-widget a few months back, still on my todo-list. It’ll be done somewhere between march and when the cows come home .. any year now.

No responses yet

Historical data

Oct 21 2010 Published by under MediaCreeper

I’ve got a few gigabytes of raw logs saved on disk, some day I’ll process it to update the statistics tables with numbers for positive hits, served hits and unique IPs/day .. which should later be available through the API, along with hits/minute and hits/hour.

To clarify;
“positive hits”, hits from oldmedia.
“served hits”, any hit from anyone .. really just a measure of traffic (only the linked badge).
“unique IPs/day”, unique IPs seen during a server-day (GMT+0000).
“hits/minute”, hits counted during the last hour.
“hits/hour”, hits counted during the last 24 hours.

MediaCreeper is about to turn two years old, a few weeks from now. I started MediaCreeper November 16, 2008.

No responses yet

Tweaks

Sep 27 2010 Published by under MediaCreeper

Today I’ve done some tweaking of MediaCreeper, a few internal changes to the database structures, to simplify and ease JOINs between tables. This is to prepare for goodies to come.

Image (the small badge) serving code has been revised somewhat to serve the image directly in stead of redirecting (302’d it) to the image. A few header values changed to prevent it from being cached. Creds to Pawal! 🙂

CreeperDataLayer-, CreeperImageServe-, CreeperUtils- and CreeperTemplateEngine-classes has been modified to reflect all the internal changes made. Should be a little bit faster.

CreeperTemplateEngine were a bit wonky, compression did not always hit browsers successfully, with errors as a result — required you to reload page. Disabled compression until I get the time to oversee the code.

Widget should be online soon, almost working.

API should also be online soon, heavily reworked.

When updating some classes on the production server, I accidentally broke some code that are to be activated later, leaving MediaCreeper dead in the water for a minute or two, a simple fix — a configuration value were missing in the configuration file on the production server.

No responses yet