Archive for: October, 2010

Historical data

Oct 21 2010 Published by under MediaCreeper

I’ve got a few gigabytes of raw logs saved on disk, some day I’ll process it to update the statistics tables with numbers for positive hits, served hits and unique IPs/day .. which should later be available through the API, along with hits/minute and hits/hour.

To clarify;
“positive hits”, hits from oldmedia.
“served hits”, any hit from anyone .. really just a measure of traffic (only the linked badge).
“unique IPs/day”, unique IPs seen during a server-day (GMT+0000).
“hits/minute”, hits counted during the last hour.
“hits/hour”, hits counted during the last 24 hours.

MediaCreeper is about to turn two years old, a few weeks from now. I started MediaCreeper November 16, 2008.

No responses yet


Oct 21 2010 Published by under MediaCreeper

After a nice talk with my friend P about MongoDB I’ve been contemplating a bit over switching over, I have no performance issues with MySQL at all but if MongoDB is faster, I’ll go with faster.

I’m going to read up on MongoDB, experiment and fiddle around with it for a while before deciding which way to go… I guess it would reduce CreeperDataLayer a bit in code size and speed up serving data.

No responses yet

Ranges updated

Oct 17 2010 Published by under MediaCreeper

I updated the ranges with about 80 new, mostly Finnish, Norwegian and Danish oldmedia. Should be noticeable during the day tomorrow. I have not checked or examined every range superduper hard for accuracy but it should be accurate enough, there might be ranges that has expired among the older once.

Still working with the translations, built a simple translation tool to be able to quickly extract chunks to send to translators, when I find them. The text chunks is about 80-ish short ones and 1-2 longer ones.

Soft-deadline in mid-November. European release before new year and global in April. That’s the plan, there will certainly be changes.

No responses yet

Slash, the kitten

Oct 02 2010 Published by under MediaCreeper

While coding, our new kitten jumped up on the desk and managed to halt a script running on one of my laptops by walking around on the keyboard, also wrote some KittyCode in CreeperDataLayer, “rrrrrrrrrrrrrrnnnnnnnnnnnnmz<<<<<<<<<<<<<", which the PHP engine doesn't like. I didn't see the KittyCode and updated in on production site, with failures -- corrected it and updated. Should not have been any major disturbance to MediaCreeper. Slash is cute... but no programmer.

2 responses so far