Archive for: September, 2010

Tweaks

Sep 27 2010 Published by under MediaCreeper

Today I’ve done some tweaking of MediaCreeper, a few internal changes to the database structures, to simplify and ease JOINs between tables. This is to prepare for goodies to come.

Image (the small badge) serving code has been revised somewhat to serve the image directly in stead of redirecting (302’d it) to the image. A few header values changed to prevent it from being cached. Creds to Pawal! 🙂

CreeperDataLayer-, CreeperImageServe-, CreeperUtils- and CreeperTemplateEngine-classes has been modified to reflect all the internal changes made. Should be a little bit faster.

CreeperTemplateEngine were a bit wonky, compression did not always hit browsers successfully, with errors as a result — required you to reload page. Disabled compression until I get the time to oversee the code.

Widget should be online soon, almost working.

API should also be online soon, heavily reworked.

When updating some classes on the production server, I accidentally broke some code that are to be activated later, leaving MediaCreeper dead in the water for a minute or two, a simple fix — a configuration value were missing in the configuration file on the production server.

No responses yet

Progress of today

Sep 04 2010 Published by under MediaCreeper

I’ve been working on a few things today.

The English translation has been tweaked here and there, as I will put it into production soon. Some wording didn’t feel right and I have rewritten parts. I hope to juggle these texts with someone who has English as first language/native tongue.

The RSS-Engine was a bit broken, when someone for some reason was caught as a positive hit in the monitored ranges and didn’t supply a referrer (masked off or filtered), the RSS would come out with text-macros intact, which isn’t pretty or even useful. Added a few lines of code to handle that and adapted the engine further, to handle multilingual stuff and removed/replaced some hard-coded stuff from the templating.

The Multilingual/Language code has been somewhat overhauled, as far as detection and logic-wise, at the moment any other languages other than the supported, Swedish and English, will default (fall backwards) to English… as most people on the Internet at least can understand a little bit of English. Swedish is a relatively small language, about 9 million people around the globe talks, reads and writes it.

I’ve added about 50 ranges for Norway, Denmark and Finland but not activated them yet, just have to throw the switch and they’re active.

Some meta-headers in the HTML has been added/adjusted to ensure that spiders and bots find their way in, with correct URLs. Now CreeperFramework’s version number and revision date is visible in meta-headers.

All this on my development server, nothing deployed yet.

No responses yet

Oh, great…

Sep 04 2010 Published by under MediaCreeper

.. the spammers has found their way here, to this blog. Had 8 comments to moderate when I logged in, all spam.

No responses yet

Near future

Sep 02 2010 Published by under MediaCreeper

I more or less promised an update of ranges last night, with norwegian media. It’s a step in expanding towards an international presence, where MediaCreeper will cover most of Europe’s media houses and much of the media of north America.

Norway is a good first step, I’m part norwegian and can communicate fairly well in norwegian, norwegians understand swedish and probably won’t mind having MediaCreeper in swedish until a proper norwegian translation is done.

No firm date for this yet but before end of september is a guesstimation.

One response so far